Water damage is a common problem for residential property owners. It is often an unexpected event and a recurring issue that has the potential to cause serious damages if not attended to right away.
In the home, water damage can stem from a variety of sources. ServiceMaster of Cobb has compiled the top causes of water damage and how to deal with them before the professionals arrive.
What Causes Water Damage at Home?
Broken or leaking pipes
- Among the most common causes of residential water damage are leaking or broken pipes. These can stem from changes in water pressure or freezing temperatures.
- Even a small leak can lead to substantial water damage over time, leading to more serious problems in the long run.
- Furthermore, not all leaks are visible, as they may also occur in plumbing or water lines within the walls of your home or in areas which are not highly trafficked.
- To prevent serious water damage, regularly inspect your home for signs of leaking or broken pipes. The earlier you detect the problem, the better and the less costly it will be. If you suspect a hidden leak, look for signs including sounds of dripping water or water rings or stains on walls.
- If a pipe bursts, contact a water damage restoration professional immediately to restore your property back to pre-loss condition fast.
- Overflowing sinks, tubs or toilets can damage flooring, carpeting and even wreck a downstairs ceiling if ignored for a long time.
- Permanent wood damage and mold growth can occur if water overflows are not completely cleaned up and restored immediately.
- Always turn faucets off after use and turn off the toilet water supply at the valve located on the wall. You can also stop the water at the source or at the main water supply lines to avoid further damage during overflows.
- Minor damages can be fixed by a plumber or repairman, but serious and extensive water damage needs the intervention of a water damage restoration expert, such as ServiceMaster of Cobb.
- Water damage can also be caused by malfunctioning appliances and equipment, such as dishwaters, refrigerators, washing machines and HVAC units.
- If any household appliance has a leak, clean up the leakage as quickly as you can. If the damage incurred is extensive, call a restoration company right away.
- To prevent water damage from appliances, practice routine maintenance.
- Gutters direct water away from your property, which is very helpful especially during a storm or severe weather. If your gutters are clogged, water can overflow and seep into your property through a damaged foundation, a damaged siding or a roof leak.
- Clean your gutters regularly to ensure that they are free from blockages such as leaves, twigs, and seed pods. Follow proper safety precautions if you plan to clean your own gutters.
- Sewer backups can result from severe storms or tree roots that are blocking your pipes, resulting into an extensive water overflow in no time.
- Have your sewer line cleaned annually to prevent tree roots from blocking it.
- Contact your insurance agent to discuss which policy can best protect you from water damage from sewer backups.
How to Prevent the Lasting Effects of Water Damage
- It is difficult to guard against all the possible causes of water damage at home, even with the best precautions.
- If water damage incidents occur, call a restoration expert to return your home back to normal and prevent serious long-term effects. A unique and comprehensive restoration project will get your home up and running as quickly as possible.
Contact ServiceMaster for Your Water Damage Emergency
ServiceMaster of Cobb has a 24-hour emergency hotline for an immediate response to your water damage restoration needs in Acworth, GA and surrounding areas. We provide residential and commercial properties with a wide range of water damage restoration services, including:
- An IICRC-certified firm with offices in Georgia and Tennessee
- A trusted restoration company since 1996
- Preferred by insurance companies in Georgia
Our office is located at 111 Kelli Clark Ct SW Cartersville, GA 30121. You can find our other offices at:
6101 Enterprise Park Dr Chattanooga, TN 37416
2060 Franklin Way, Suite 110 Marietta, GA 30067
Don’t know what to do next? We do. Contact us today.